Looking to move house or get on the property ladder can be a daunting task with so much to look into and consider. How much can we borrow? Do we have a large enough deposit? Is there a long upward chain? Does the house need much work doing to it? How much will it cost to run…? The list is endless! By purchasing a new build property for your next home you could remove some of the stress and give yourself some positive peace of mind.
So what are some of the benefits of buying a new build property?
1) 10 Year Warranty: most new build properties will come with a 10 year warranty against structural defects and is a period of time in which the developer is liable for putting right any shrinkage cracks or snagging items. There are a number of different warranties developers use with the more commonly used ones being NHBC, LABC and BLP.
2) Help to Buy: a number of developers are now signed up to the new government Help to Buy scheme, which allows purchasers to register for a loan from the government of up to 20% of the cost of a new build home, helping those with smaller deposits get on the property ladder. For more information visit the Help to Buy website.
3) Shorter chain: buying a brand new home means having a shorter chain or, if you have nothing to sell, no chain. If you have a property to sell you will still of course be subject to a chain below you but you will not have to worry about the person above finding another property to purchase. Sometimes you will have to wait while the property is finished off but you will be given an estimated completion date to work towards when reserving the plot, to assist the whole chain in planning their move. One development we are currently marketing, Trumpington Place, has a fully furnished show home, 2 further view units to give you a taste and all plots are anticipated to be ready for occupation by the end of November, which means you could be in your brand new home in time for Christmas.
4) Cheaper energy bills: new build properties are built to current building regulations meaning better energy efficiency and in the age of increasing energy bills you will be pleased to hear how efficient new builds can be. With better insulation, double glazing and efficient boilers you should see a noticeable saving on your energy bills and a number of developers are now also adding Photovoltaic panels to selected plots which can earn you money back, as well as other energy saving devices like Heat Recovery Systems.
5) Ready to go: no need to worry about previous owners DIY skills or getting the paint pot out as soon as you arrive, new builds come fresh and clean and depending on the developer and stage of construction you can even be involved in choosing the kitchen units, flooring and tiling to personalise the property to your own tastes from the outset. Many new homes these days also come with integrated kitchen appliances which not only are brand new but also come with their standard warranty for further peace of mind.
6) Electrical and plumbing: all wiring and plumbing will be passed by current building regulations and come signed off with a certificate so that you have peace of mind knowing you will not have any unexpected maintenance bills in the years to come.
7) Be part of something new: with a lot of new towns and larger developments being built all over Cambridge and the surrounding villages, you have the chance to be part of something new and help to create a new community. Green open spaces and community amenities are all well planned too.
I hope this short list goes someway to helping you decide whether to purchase a New Build property over a pre-owned one and we look forward to showing you around some of our available show homes soon. Come and see what all the fuss is about and see if ‘New Build’ could be the ‘New you’…